bikes. barre3. bulldogs.

24 HOP

February 15, 2016
24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. 24 hours of continuous mountain biking. Cody's dream, my hell. Cody participated in a 4 man team with his friends Jake, and Ryan, and as a last minute substitution for his fallen compadre, Jeffrey, one of his students, Chad filled in. You may even call this, a #BikeGang. Cody had asked me a LONG time ago to attend this race with Fitz (like before the new year), and I made sure to be available. I had a lot of training at work this week, so I picked Chad up early Saturday morning and drove up to 24 Hour Town to meet up with the team. Cody, along with Jake and his wife Heather, Ryan and some of the other Oro Valley Mountain Bike coaches had already been up for a few nights.







I was super skeptical. I'll be the first to admit I'm a bad camper. Mostly in that I am a creature of comfort. I like getting into my big cozy bed, I like being clean (my hair doesn't count), and I hate walking more than 3 feet to the bathroom. That being said, 24HOP was incredible. People were camped EVERYWHERE. I mean, literally, any space you could park a car was occupied. People were biking, walking, running all over. The energy was so high, and so fun! Everyone was pumped to be there! And I totally got sucked into all of it!

My friend Leah! Her husband was racing too!
Fitz and Leah's son Lars




Watching Cody in his element was a experience all in its own. He is such a dedicated cyclist, but he really wants everyone to enjoy themselves too. He was prepared, and helped me get ready to be there, and totally packed Fitz up too. We had a lot of fun together!






The team did amazing! There are some really tricky parts of this course, including a Rock Drop whic is a steep downhill section, and then navigating the logistics of handing off the baton in the exchange tent and running out to get to their bikes as they switch riders. They ended up completing 18 laps (each lap is 17 miles) total and came in 14/99 teams in their category and 50/515 teams total. Totally rocked it out! All four of them surprised themselves in how strong they rode and how much they achieved, and it was fun to watch! I'm looking forward to attending more races with Fitz, although I think 1 night of camping is just perfect for me!




Nina!


Way to go, Code! We are SO incredibly proud of you!!

LB (Fitz too)
Post Comment
Post a Comment